Thursday, August 27, 2009

When to say "no comment"

Should I comment?

A print or broadcast reporter calls asking you to comment on a sensitive story. You’re not sure if you want to get involved, but you know its rarely appropriate to say “No comment.”

Damage control: Find out exactly what the reporter knows so you can make an intelligent decision about whether to comment. Ask the reporter the following questions:

• What is the story about?
• What angle are you taking? (A nice way of saying, “Do you have a preconceived notion about this story?”)
• What’s your deadline?
• Who will be interviewing me?
• Am I critical to the story?
• How much do you know about this topic? (If they don’t know a lot, this is your chance to “educate.”)
• Who else have you spoken to and what did they tell you?
• Did you speak to any of my competitors?
• How long will the interview take?
• Can you tell me what topics you will cover in the interview?
• May I bring an associate along with me to participate?

If you conclude that the story is not about you or your company, and you don’t want to get involved, don’t just say “no comment.” Tell the reporter you don’t care to comment, and explain why. Try to refer the reporter to more appropriate sources

No comments:

Post a Comment